TikToker Accidentally Inhales Scopolamine: Raffaela Weiman and her friend were on their way to a friend’s party when they stopped to smell the roses. Unfortunately, they weren’t roses at all, but a dangerous hallucinogen.
It was the large, colorful beauty of Angel’s Trumpet that attracted Weiman and her friend.
In 1956, golfer Walter Hagen urged us all to “smell the flowers on the road.” This axiom was later changed to “stop and smell the roses,” but it serves as a reminder to enjoy life. Not all flowers are the same, however — as Canadian singer Raffaela Weiman found out after unwittingly inhaling a dangerous hallucinogenic drug.
While on vacation in Los Angeles, Weiman and her friend were taking a stroll at a friend’s house when they noticed a large yellow flower they couldn’t resist. Only after they felt bewitched and passed out did they learn that the flower was an angel’s pipe, the drug scopolamine, better known as “the devil’s breath.”
Scopolamine has a long and sinister history. First isolated in the 1800s, it was used as a truth serum by disgusting personalities such as Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, and then both the United States and the Soviet Union used the drug during interrogations during the Cold War. According to the Times Now News, Weimann was unaware of it.
“My best friend and I found this beautiful flower and spent the night deeply inhaling its scent,” Weyman wrote. “When we went to our friend’s birthday party, we both suddenly felt so bad we had to leave. It turned out the flower was very poisonous, and we accidentally drugged ourselves like idiots.”
Before becoming an accidental scopolamine user, Raffaela Weiman was best known as a singer-songwriter known as RALPH. According to Newsweek, she and a friend were celebrating a friend’s birthday and “were just in a goofy mood” when they left for another party – and spotted a flower on Sunset Boulevard.
“The flowers were growing on the tree right in front of us, and they were so huge and so intoxicating that we couldn’t help ourselves,” Weiman said. “We are both from Canada, so this flower is not native to our homeland, we had never seen them before and found them so beautiful.”
When the disabled duo arrived at the second party, they began to feel physically unstable and were extremely unwilling to socialize with other people. Weyman and her friend decided to end the evening and go home, at which point Weyman experienced her first-ever horrific bout of sleep paralysis.
“I felt like a man dressed in black came into my room, sat down next to me and injected me with a needle, making me unable to speak or scream or move,” she said. “I just lay there and made quiet moaning noises.”
Dr. Albert Ladenburg first isolated scopolamine in 1880.
Weiman’s body fortunately processed the drug by dawn and brought her back to reality. However, research into what she used led to a rude awakening-the “angel’s trumpet” flower she inhaled had an ominous history and is dangerously used to this day.
The “angel’s trumpet” is replete with belladonna alkaloids, including scopolamine, or “devil’s breath. While this drug is not completely useless and is used in motion sickness and nausea medications, some call scopolamine “the world’s scariest drug” – after all, its gruesome history of use in the past was only the beginning.
Doctors and government agencies alike rushed to the drug as soon as German scientist Albert Ladenburg isolated it in 1880. The term “truth serum” itself comes from the use of scopolamine in the 1920s, when authorities used the drug to interrogate prisoners. This continued during World War II, the Cold War, and kidnappings in modern times.
Dr. Miriam Gutierrez, a physician in Colombia, where criminals readily use the drug, says it is ideal for modern kidnappings and robberies. She says scopolamine essentially strips the victim of inhibitions and turns him into a zombie who, although able to move and speak, does not refuse orders.
Criminals use scopolamine by pouring it into victims’ drinks or simply blowing it in their faces.
Criminals simply extract this “devil’s breath” from the angel’s trumpet plant and turn it into a powder that can easily be slipped into drinks or taken as pills. It can even be blown in the victim’s face to achieve a cooperative effect. From being sexually assaulted to escorting victims to ATMs to rob them of cash, victims are helpless.
Fortunately for Raffaela Weiman and her friend, the weakened duo encountered no danger during their escapade. Nevertheless, she posted the video to Instagram, and her post on TikTok received 40,000 likes and nearly 700 shares, with her friends being the first to contact Weyman.
“We posted a video to Instagram of us sniffing a flower, and the next day we woke up to tons of responses from friends, ‘This is REALLY poisonous flower, are you okay!!!? We googled it and I read various articles about how it can cause paralysis and hallucinations.”
“I was completely shocked. As a flower lover, I feel like I learned my lesson: ‘Google it before touching or sniffing this foreign species … [and] stick to inhaling my music, not a random flower you find on the street.”