Jeff Bezos went to the very edge of space, and his ship immediately went viral because even the richest man on the planet is not immune to the Internet.
Blue Origin’s New Shepard rocket immediately evoked comparisons to male genitalia, which many people on Earth may have found at least somewhat justified, especially after he said in his post-flight speech, “I also want to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer, because you guys paid for all this.”
Bezos, who overtook Bill Gates as the richest man on Earth, has been criticized for not sharing his wealth. In response, he said, “The only way I can see to use so much financial resources is to convert my winnings on Amazon into space travel. The solar system could easily handle a trillion people. If we had a trillion people, we would have a thousand Einsteins and a thousand Mozarts and unlimited, for all practical purposes, resources and solar energy. This is the world I want my great-grandchildren’s great-grandchildren to live in.
From the phallic shape of the rocket to the ignorance of his ruthless capitalism, here are the best memes and reactions to Jeff Bezos’ spaceflight.
Memes and reactions to Jeff Bezos’ spaceflight
1. Everyone and their moms have compared Jeff Bezos to Dr. Evil, and, well…
— Caleb English (@TheEnglishman84) July 20, 2021
2. We didn’t say that. She said it.
— 💀 Scary Larry 💀 🇺🇸🌊✊🏻🗽 (@StompTheGOP) July 20, 2021
3. Perhaps that’s how the New Shepard actually came to be.
Congrats! Jeff Bezos's rocket has been spotted on our radar. pic.twitter.com/LOox0e5JKt
— The Mossad: The Social Media Account (@TheMossadIL) July 20, 2021
4. climate change on Earth is real.
The end of The Planet of the Apes but it's just Bezos landing near forest fires out of control
— Matt S (@MattSeg09) July 20, 2021
5. We would watch this reboot of Planet of the Apes.
11 minutes is more than long enough for everyone at the landing site to change into monkey costumes.
Not saying they should do this, but… they should do this.
— Max Kennerly (@MaxKennerly) July 20, 2021
6. You know someone did.
7. To be fair, Jeff Bezos’ flight into space ended up being a little better for him.
Bezos going to space is like that episode of Bob's Burgers where Teddy tries to show off his boat to his ex-wife
— Arq (@CryptArq) July 20, 2021
8. Admit it, you felt it in your soul (even if you had to pause for metric references).
Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin New Shepard ship is18.3-metres-tall, but 17.8 metres of that is crumpled brown paper. pic.twitter.com/Vr5xfKsROc
— The Poke (@ThePoke) July 20, 2021
9. Do you think Hans Zimmer’s music was playing during Jeff Bezos’ flight into space?
10. Mackenzie Scott is the goals. Period.
hard to imagine a better divorce outcome than getting 50 billion dollars and then your ex literally leaves the planet
— muscle skoals (@MuscleSkoals) July 19, 2021
12. you and everyone else, buddy.
13. Spurs help with anti-gravity or something?
is Jeff going to wear cowboy boots into space https://t.co/kyqTZh0HfK
— em (@croclovur) July 20, 2021
14. The upside of taking more trips is that Amazon employees can finally take a trip. To the restroom.
this one takes the cake for best Bezos meme of the day pic.twitter.com/6x3dBvKsGk
— Speex (@speexvocon) July 20, 2021
15. Admittedly, you didn’t notice the difference at first.
— Park Slope Arsonist (@EnaDadaism) July 20, 2021
16. Mackenzie Scott is everything.
Mackenzie Scott donating her money to HBCUs while her ex cosplays being an astronaut definitively proves that girls go to college to get more knowledge and boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider. pic.twitter.com/seuMyjOk54
— Rohita Kadambi (@RohitaKadambi) July 19, 2021
17. Je suis Cardi B.
— Saint Hoax (@SaintHoax) July 20, 2021
18. Money can’t buy… Confidence.
Congrats to Jeff Bezos on his successful rocket launch. And also for totally not overcompensating for something pic.twitter.com/fI3OMxiaVQ
— Big Cat (@BarstoolBigCat) July 20, 2021
19. George Takei remains blameless.
Oh myyy. That…shape. https://t.co/3lPO7cFpVj
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) July 20, 2021
20. Brevity is the soul of wit.
very penisy pic.twitter.com/ScimTrDRIU
— dan nguyen (@dancow) July 20, 2021